Friday, January 20, 2006

CNY Reunion Dinner

Reunion Dinner

CNY reunion dinner has alsways been a BIG thing for me since I was a child. This is the time whereby we eat till we passed out and chat and run around my Ah Mah (dad's mom) house.

When Ah Mah is still around many years ago, we will go to her house (she stays alone) and bring our own food and she will also cook like a feast. All my aunties and uncles and cousins will arrive with MORE food and drinks. Therefore, we all makan and makan till be cannot take it anymore, mind you, my Ah Mah has got 4-sons and with their wifes and kids, that make my Ah Mah's house filled with laughter and during dinner, the tables will be divided into two tables. One for adult and one for kid (that point of time, I fall under the catogory for kid but I was already 16 yrs old.......)

Then when Ah Mah passed away in year 1997 (very sad), the following year (1998) we had reunion dinner at our own house. Again, mom will cook a feast. Mom will usually cook her signature dish; Sengkuang with prawns (looks like the stuffing in popiah-just that hers is with much more stuff in it), Steam 'yuk chuk' chicken, Hou See Fatt Choi with pork, Butter Prawns, Abalone with Brocolli and another two more dishes (which varies from year to year). BUT, there are one 4 of us at home....... So again, we eat till we passed out........ Then we will play cards with mom... Me and my brother will make sure mom wins... keh keh keh.... so that on the 1st day of CNY mom's angpow will be BIGGER......

Then when I got married, reunion dinner changed entirely..... SIL x 2 does not really cook up a feast....... Only the first year I got married cos FIL is still around, so we all chipped in and cooked the usual stuff like steam chicken, pork and vege....... AGAIN, alot of them cos my FIL is Hakka, they believe during CNY must serve alot of food.........

Then FIL passed away the 2nd year I got married because of pneumonia. Then from that year onwards (I married in year 2002), we have STEAMBOAT for reunion dinner. For a consecutive of 3 years!!! I mean, I have been exposed to 'eat till you pengsan' reunion dinner, all of a sudden we are having STEAMBOAT?? But still its a change and can accept la. Hubby loves steamboat as he claimed that you can take longer time to eat and eat more (to me more of what.... how many fish ball and sotong ball can you eat) Well, we still enjoyed our self.. I guessed its the company that matters.

Well, this year pulak, BIL suggested that we all dont cook (in my heart, ok eating out), but we hang out in the KARAOKE....... Huh!!!!???? Yeah, I had this huh thingy too. Nowadays this kind of hang-out place serves buffet dinner and at the same time the youngsters can sing their heart out........ But, to me reunion dinner is supposed to be a sit together dinner and not with loud music and smoke and walking up and down to get food!!!! I just kept quite and so does hubby. I know hubby only wants to be with his brothers and what ever we are having, it does not matters.

Anyway, to me whatever we are having (but I hope not buffer in Karaoke), its the togetherness that counts......... Woofff Wooff....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I miss the food my mom cooked too during reunion dinner. After marrying hubby, we only eat out at reataurant as MIL is too old to cook a feast. The mood is really different...