Thursday, August 31, 2006

Gay & Lesbian

Do not know why all of a sudden I fell like writing about gay and lesbian. Probably its because I have just watched Oprah Winfrey and its on the topic of "Coming Out". Today's topic features individuals who come out to tell the truth about their sexual preferences and also to accept the facts that they are 'not normal'.....

I feel for these people. Not that I am 'les' or what but I have a very good friend whom he could not tell anyone that he prefers men than women. He could not even come to terms himself that he likes men cos he feels very 'rejected'. I asked if he tried to talked to his parents about this, and his reply was "What! You want my mom and dad to die from heart attack after hearing this is it?"

He is a very good friend of mine. He is my shoulder to cry and whine on when I am down. Its very much comfortable to confront and to grumble to some one who you know he is like one of your sister; if you get what I mean. He is always there for all of us as he is not attached or anything, so as and when we needed a ride, needed a companion over a meal or even needed a 'part time' bb sitter, he is there for us all..... He is the bestest of the best among us all.....

In our society, especially Asian, we are not expose to the facts about gay and lesbians. Asians would classify people like this as 'sampah masyarakat'! But, hey, what is wrong with that? I am a happily married woman but I know how it feels if you love another person who is the same gender as you. We do not realise that gay and lesbians too need love and attention like we all too. They do not asked GOD to 'make' them a gay or lesbians but they are born-ed as 'gay' and 'lesbian'; its just that it will take some time for them to realise and 'come out'...

So, I do not see what is wrong about accepting gay and lesbian into our community. My friend dare not confess that he is gay until 3 years ago (he is 4 yrs my senior) while I chatted with him over the phone. It all started when I told him I am going to give birth soon and going to be a mommy bla bla bla...... Out of nowhere, he blurted out "I think I am gay".... and I was like "Mmmm Ok, are you sure?" and then the conversation goes on.... As he is my very good friend, all I wanted for him is for him to be happy.

Is it wrong to be different? Is it wrong be happy with the people we like but of the same gender? Why do we reject them? Not that I am encouraging this because I have a son and it would be the last thing on earth to know that one day Oscar comes home and tells me that he wants to get married but to a guy!

I truly believe that as long as they are happy with what their decision is, we should stand by them and support them. Do you agree with me?

3 comments:

laundryamah said...

hmm sorry i cannot agree that they are born gay. We are what we are in character but even that oso very much influenced by upbringing and what is surrounding us everyday.God designed men & women to be together so let's stick to it! but then again i dun think gays are sampah masyarakat, just confused bunch of ppl..

Oscar's Mommy said...

laundryamah: we will not understand them as they are 'trapped' in an identity that they don't want to be...

IMMomsDaughter said...

To each his own. I've got a good friend who thought she was a les, had a les relationship but later discovered her true self and gotten married to a man recently. Being a good friend, I stuck with her through her identity crisis and am happy with her new found love.