Thursday, January 25, 2007

Masak Masak



Can someone pls tell me the exact name of this vegetable? My mom told me its called the smilling face gourd (siew hau gua) and my friend told me its called 'jit gua' but I tot 'jit gua' is suppose to be long minus the funny looking 'smile'/'lip'.... Looking at this vegetable makes me laugh. Looks exactly like me holding my fist together funnily.. and the vege sort of like asking 'helo, wanna eat me tonite?'.... So weird!

I just 'tembak' on the cooking method cos mom said she never bought this vege before. I sliced off the skin of the vege. A hairy vege I would say. After slicing off the skin, I find that this vege emits some kind of sticky sticky stuff... dont know what is it. So, I cut it into strips (is it called julian?... haha Julian the blogger) oh where am I? Ah yes, then I also cut some carrots into strips. Then set aside. I did soaked some dried prawns and some 'farn si'.


Just heat up the frying wok and throw in the soaked dried prawns and let it fry till fragrant. Then throw in the vege and carrot then put in some seasoning. I put in some fish sauce and also some sugar to balance off the saltiness and last but not least, the 'farn si'. Voila! Done. Hubby told me this dish reminded him of his mom's cooking.... and he ate alot! I think hubby really misses his mom... and her cooking. Will try to cook more of MIL's style of cooking when I have time.

3 comments:

Sasha Tan said...

its called Buddha'a palm also. I learnt from Wah Lai toi ah..the soup prog . Can make this to boil soup. Yummy. Pork Ribs, The sweet Date, and this Buddha's palm only. Good to prevent heatiness and "yun" the lungs. Try it. I tried it and both Chan's love it.

Tracy said...

It's "Futt Sau Kau" in Cantonese. Cut it up and fry it with meat or boil with ikan bilis or ribs as soup, the taste is deliciously 'sweet'.

Wennn said...

Hahahahah I made this dish before la.. We called it chow chow here... I made a simple dish like tat too but no add fan si..... It reminds of a CNY dish lor..