Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Work Delegations

WARNING!!
This is one veeeeeeerrryyy long post. Beware as you might dooze off halfway ......
Nope... this post has got nothing to do with Oscar. Its just that lately I felt very tense in the office... (solly ah LaundryAmah if you are reading this...). Yes, I am grateful that now we have extra staff to help around compare to my one leg-kicking days last year.... and best of all, I am now more relaxed when I come into the office, knowing that I will have extra 'hand' when I need one.

But, you see, it is alot of work to train up a new staff... I did not say that I am a very bright person as I needed guidance too throughout my employment. I am also very blur at times and 'kena' a few times before for 'screwing' things up... But, I am just human and I admit that I made mistakes... I try my very best to be more careful and more attentive then. But now, I think I more or less grasp the entire operation and in more control. More control does not mean that I am now the 'taukeh-soh' or 'Ms Boss-Around-Eat-Full-Nothing-To-Do'. More control in a sense I know how to prioritise my daily workflow and customer handling. And I really have to thank LaundryAmah for the endless lecture oh no no no... advise on the accounts side as when I first joined this ofice, I have no freaking idea on accounting... Well, no expert now but 'boleh-tahan' la.

Ok, back to the topice, I noticed that I am no good at delegating or training or being a leader OR ANYTHING!!! OH Gawd, how pathetic!!! I dont know what to delegate to my new colleagues and dont know how to give instructions!!! Things got out of hand last week when I didn't check/follow up on the work I delegated to my new colleague. And to make matters worse... history has to repeat it self today. You see, every morning, I will ensure that all orders are despatched accordingly and all repair calls are attended to by our technicians. I will also have to ensure that they have ample time to travel and if there is order that is along the way, the technicians will have to help to drop off at the respective destinations so that our despatch boy will not need to waste time and petrol travelling on the same route.

Today when I gave briefing in the office, everyone was there including my new colleague. Lets call her Ms Y. I would assumed that she is listening because she was just in front of me all the while when I was giving the briefing. And because I scare I will forget, I actually wrote what to do and sent out on our LARGE whiteboard in the office... so that everyone can help each other to remember.... and NO..... just because I have no time to check on the technician today, one order was missed out! And this little order was also for the same place as my technician will be visiting today. Pls take note that this customer of mine is like in 'timbaktu' and no where nearer!!! And Ms Y was the one who issued the invoice yesterday!!!! When questioned why she didn't pass the order to the technician, she said she didn't know... and she insist that she didn't know that I sent the technician to this place!!! HALLO, then where is yr ears or your soul when I gave the briefing earlier???? Sigh..... then I realised that I will need to check on her work too.... So, what is the meaning of this? I might as well not have a new colleague cos if I don't have Ms Y, I will do ALL the checking myself and there is NOT ADDITIONAL person, meaning Ms Y to add on to my burden! Might as well I take her pay and do her work too!!! For a moment of time, I was furious because it is really unbelieveable for her to say 'I DONT KNOW!!!!'. I hate this phrase; I hate it even more if I need to use it.... I think I raised my voice abit too so Ms Y was very scared and didn't talk much today besides of passing me messages and calls..... sob sob... like that also can meh??!!!

Maybe I was a bit 'gila' today because 7-early 8-early today also I need to do stock checking and while doing it.... our store-keeper gave me hell! I will blog on that later... Cannot complain so much .... will have more lines on my face!

The conclusion is; I am no good at delegating and sometimes I wonder, can I excel to be a leader one day.... nah.... lets not think about this... must now concentrate on my work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah indeed very long! I can totally understand what you are going thru, no worries. Let's call this a learning process and we can all learn from our mistakes.

Thank God you were easy to train! Phew! hahaha..ok seriously, I see that you've put yourself down and felt bad, don't be ok?? It's not your fault. If everybody so clever then no bodoh ppl around lor..like that cannot ma...rite? This is good opportunity to learn from this, handling difficult ppl (especially speciment like our storekeeper..hehehehe) so hang in there!

Yes, I hate the " I DON"T KNOW" statement which I only expect my maids use all the time, so very disappointing to hear from Ms Y! She's still very young and also learning, must give chance la...

No worries, I think you are indeed a good leader, am happy with the way you can handle our technicians, actually, if can handle our technicians...I think you've conquered it all already, not to mention our learned "Engineer"!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am sure your dear boss LAmah is compassionate and patient (???). She may be a dragon lady but her huff and puff is harmless, believe me. Keep up the good work and I have been visiting your blog daily....man..the addiction sure spreads! I am sure you dear Oscar will remember and appreciates the stuff you write about him......or will he? :-wink.