Friday, December 15, 2006

Flash Cards

Bought a few sets of flash cards for Oscar last year. Along the year, Oscar learnt quite alot from it. And of course, a lot of it went missing along with other toys! I usually buy cards with pictures and words. I have not bought flash cards with numbers before.

Today, I have decided to do some Home-made FlashCards. Below are the things I bought for this ocassion:




* Some stationery (paper-by-weight cards, glue, some strings, marker pens, scotch tapes and some colour paper. * I made the A-Z and 1-10 via excel format.
* Lots of cutting and sticking the cards toggether.
* Then punch holes and string them together according to their category.

And I am now preparing Oscar for his kindy. Oh... I almost forgot. A quick up-date on my recent hunt for kindy. Thank you all for your valuable suggestions and ideas in looking for a good school. I have found one and without looking further, I paid (no actually hubby paid) the fees and registration stuff etc etc... To me, location is the most important point. There is one school which is very famous and has got a very good teaching method (I went and scrutinse their teaching materials... yes, I am very kiasu) but because from my office to this school, its kind of far. I have to look for a school which is near my office (just in case if Oscar is ill during class or not well or if he just needs me) I can go over ASAP. And have to be near my mom's place cos I intend to steal my lunch time to go over to fetch him after school (Amah, pls pls let me go... I work OT ah...) and then have to quickly rush back and drop Oscar back at my mom's. See, I got lots of things to look into that is why all the delay.

But now, I have no more worry. Er, maybe just one more. Oscar was borned in the year of 2003 therefore, next year he no longer join the nursery class, Oscar is a big boy now so he will have to join the elementary class; which consist of 3 yrs old children and also 4 yrs old children whom for those have already studied one year in nursery. Oh boy, I am so so afraid that my little champion cannot cope cos Oscar is very playful... He learn at his own pace (at home can la, in the school mana boleh) and he tends to be THE OPPOSITION PARTY. Eg: Me asking : Oscar, how old are you? Him: I am fine thank you isk isk isk... hehehaha... OR Me: Oscar, do you want to sit and read? Him: Er, do you want to sit and SING?" See, me pressure or not? And according to the principal, in elementary year, students are expect to know A-Z and 1-20!!!!!! Oscar knows how to SING ABCD but if ask him to recognise the alphabets, I dont think so. Numbers still ok cos Oscar know how to identify 1-10 but not to 20.... The thing I like about this school I enrolled is they practices flash cards a lot and also they use Peter and Jane book as introduction to words and sentences. It is always good and a bonus point to know your A-Z but know A-Z means nothing if you dont know the word...


So, I hope by making these flash cards, I can slowly instill some memorising interest in Oscar rather than him now jumping around in the house and messing around! Like I said, he is very playful and sometimes, he is ok...

I am going to make some basic ones first then later, I am copying some Peter and Jane book I have to let him memorise the words... Many of you will say, buy la from the shelve so much work... but I like doing it myself.... more MOMMY TOUCH... hehe

Oscar, pls pls be good and play and read yr flash cards mommy made....

5 comments:

laundryamah said...

no worries one..can go out anytime, me & you no kira one, dun say steal time la...anytime!

jazzmint said...

wow..preparing him for the big day huh...no worries, I'm sure he can catch up very fast. He's a smart boy ;)

LHS said...

I bought a set of Glenn Doman flash card for my Jo when he was 9 months old, and now it's just covered by dust! :)

No worries, sure Oscar can catch up everything, and i am sure your hardwork will be paid off too.

Angeleyes said...

Oscar smart boy... sure peanuts for him lar... maybe he's even ahead of the rest leh???

Annie Q said...

oscar been playful but doesnt mean he is not smart lei.Most boy are like that they are playful and yet they are smart too.Dont worry!